1400 Washington AveAlbanyNY
1400 Washington AveAlbanyNY

Performing Arts Center

1965-1989

PDF Version

Abstract

Contains records from the Performing Arts Center, which was completed in 1969 on the new campus to replace Page Hall as the primary performance space at the University. The collection includes space planning materials, publications, and records from events held at the PAC (including fliers, press releases, programs, and attendence reports).

Summary

Creator:
State University of New York at Albany. Performing Arts Center
Date Coverage:
1965-1989
Quantity:
6.56 cubic ft. (about 6.56 boxes)

"The Performing Arts Center at the University at Albany was constructed in 1969. The facility replaced the aging theater space on the Downtown Campus, Page Hall.

"Page Hall, named for David Perkins Page, was constructed as part of a major upgrade for the New York State College for Teachers in 1929. Page Hall served as the primary performance space for the College until it was announced in the early 1960's that a new campus was to be constructed. This new construction was to include a state-of-the-art performing arts facility.

"In 1962, the New York State College for Teachers became the State University of New York at Albany (now called simply the University at Albany) and a new campus located on the west end of Albany was planned. The new facility was designed by noted architect Edward Durell Stone, designer of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC. By 1966, students were occupying the new campus, although the entire project was not completed until 1969.

"On Wednesday, April 16, 1969, the Performing Arts Center on the Uptown Campus was dedicated. The Performing Arts Center, also known as the PAC, was the last building on the academic podium to be completed and was hailed a marvelous achievement by arts professionals and the media alike. The Departments of Music and Theatre were moved into their new home in late April, 1969.

"The Performing Arts Center has served as the primary performance space for the University for over forty years. Page Hall continues to play host to a fairly large number of events as well. Over eight thousand performances have taken place in the facilities. Although the primary user of the PAC continues to be its resident, the Department of Music and Theatre, many other organizations, on campus and off, have held their events in its excellent facilities. The Performing Arts Center is a unique, important and exciting 'jewel in the crown' of the University at Albany."

["PAC History" http://www.albany.edu/pac/pac_history.shtml]

This collection consists of floor plans, equipment purchase orders, budget planning documentation, event schedules, meeting minutes, box office and attendence reports, a run of Performing Arts Center News, the newsletter for the Performing Arts Center, and manager's office records that include event fliers and posters, press releases, and programs for musical and theater performances at Page Hall and the Performing Arts Center.

The collection is unprocessed and is likely disorganized. Individual items may be difficult to find.

All items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.

Processed by: unprocessed

Collection record created by: This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on

Published: 2018-03-06 08:35:54 -0500

Encoded in EAD by Benjamin Covell, 2017 February 16

Archival materials can be view in-person during business hours in our reading room, located on the top floor of the Science Library on the Uptown Campus.

We can also deliver digital scans for remote research for a fee.

Access to this collection is restricted because it is unprocessed. Portions of the collection may contain recent administrative records and/or personally identifiable information. Please contact an archivist for more information.

Copyright Statement

This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.

Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.

The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.

The University Archives are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.

Preferred citation for this material is as follows:

Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Performing Arts Center, 1965-1989. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Performing Arts Center).