1400 Washington AveAlbanyNY
1400 Washington AveAlbanyNY

Center for Humanistic Education Records

1969-1973

PDF Version

Abstract

This collection consists of records documenting the finances of and the workshops and activities put on by the University at Albany’s Center for Humanistic Education during its period of activity.

Summary

Creator:
Humanistic Education Center
Date Coverage:
1969-1973
Quantity:
6 cubic ft. (about 6 boxes)

The University at Albany established the Center for Humanistic Education in 1969. Borne out of educational reform proposals in the 1960s, the Center was formed with the idea of helping to create an education system that was more “human-centered” and focused on teaching students in a way that would truly resonate with them. From its founding under the direction of Dr. Alfred Alschuler, the Center was loosely affiliated with the university and received much of its financing from state grants and registration payments for its workshops and presentations. The Center worked primarily with two-year colleges and high schools around New York State. One of the Humanistic Education Center’s primary functions was to organize workshops at the University-owned Jesuit Retreat House in Glenmont, New York. Before its move to the Jesuit Retreat House in 1970, the Center had been based out of Richardson Hall on SUNY Albany’s downtown campus. As the Center was only loosely affiliated with the University, it was dependent on grants from New York State for its funding. Drastic funding cuts in 1973 forced the Center to give up its lease on the Jesuit Retreat House and returned to the University campus. From there further staff cuts led to the dissolution of the program in either late 1973 or 1974.

The collections consists of the Center for Humanistic Education's records including: material on the Vocational Education program; workshop and program proposals as well as documentation of completed workshops and programs; meeting minutes, correspondence and memoranda; reports and presentations by staff members as well as budgetary documents and payment information regarding workshops. This collection also contains 3 16mm documentary films covering topics in education.

Files in this collection have been maintained in their original order upon processing.

All items in this manuscript group were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.

Processed by: Miles Lawlor

Collection record created by: This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on

Published: 2018-09-21 23:00:02 -0400

EAD file created, 2014

Encoded in EAD by Conversion and encoding by ArchProteus, 2014

Archival materials can be view in-person during business hours in our reading room, located on the top floor of the Science Library on the Uptown Campus.

We can also deliver digital scans for remote research for a fee.

Access to this collection is unrestricted.

Copyright Statement

The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.

Preferred citation for this material is as follows:

Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Center for Humanistic Education Records. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as Humanistic Education Records).