The Laborers' International Union of North America was formed in April 1903 as the International Hod Carriers' and Building Laborers' Union of America from twenty-five delegates representing seventeen cities and over 8,000 laborers. By the late 1920s, a construction boom and the addition of three amalgamations added to the union's size: the International Compressed Air and Foundation Workers Union; the Tunnel and Subway Constructors International Union; and the International Union of Pavers, Rammemen, Flag Layers, Bridge and Curb Setters and Sheet Asphalt Pavers. In 1955, the union affiliated with the AFL-CIO Industrial Union Department in order to represent the 60,000 laborers working under the jurisdiction of the IUD. After the post-World War II boom, the union also began representing non-construction workers. In 1965, the union officially changed its name to the Laborers' International Union of North America to reflect its continued growth beyond the construction field. Local 157 was chartered in 1912 and represented laborers in Schenectady, New York and surrounding communities in the building trades. The local's early members were primarily Italian American.
The Laborers' International Union of North America, Local 157 records primarily document the union's activities for the period 1937-1972 through correspondence and meeting minutes. All of the records are photocopies of the original documents. The records provide an account of routine operations by Local 157 including negotiations with employers in Schenectady, grievances, elections, as well as financial and membership records. The union's early members were predominantly Italian American, which means the membership lists of 1912-1914 are in Italian. The correspondence includes material specific to Local 157 as well as items from the national office having to do with legislation and other national issues. Included with the correspondence and meeting minutes are sporadic membership and officer lists.
The collection is organized inside of a box labelled Box 1 into the following folders:
All items in this manuscript group were loaned to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, for preservation photocopying by the Laborers' International Union of North America, Local 157 as a part of the Harry Van Arsdale, Jr. Labor History Project in 1990. The originals were returned to Local 157.
Processed by: Amy C. Schindler
Collection record created by: This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on
Published: 2018-03-06 00:25:29 -0500
Encoded in EAD by Rachel Hulton, 2014
Archival materials can be view in-person during business hours in our reading room, located on the top floor of the Science Library on the Uptown Campus.
We can also deliver digital scans for remote research for a fee.
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
Preferred citation for this material is as follows:
Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Laborers' International Union of North America Local 157 Records, 1912-1972. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as [shortened name]).