The Edward E. Potter Club, founded in 1931, began when thirteen undergraduates and alumni proposed to form a club in order to promote close friendships in a non-fraternal organization. They called it the "State Union." Prior to the formation of the Potter Club, the only men's social group was the Kappa Delta Rho fraternity. The president of the college, Abram R. Brubacher, approved of another men's social club, but he did not like the name "State Union." Therefore, Brubacher suggested that the Club adopt the name of Edward E. Potter in memory of a student killed in France during World War I. The Potter Club Alumni Association, Inc., was incorporated on February 17, 1948. Headquartered in Albany, the Alumni Association facilitated communication between past and present members of the Potter Club, provided educational and financial assistance to Potter Club members through awards and scholarships, and promoted the interests of the University and its alumni, in general.
The Potter Club Records consist of club papers, correspondence, and financial and membership information creating an incomplete record of the club's origin and activities from the 1930's through, approximately, 1970. Most of the documents come from and deal with the 1960's, including several versions of the club's constitution, evaluations, correspondence, minutes of the Board of Directors, alumni directories, and financial information. Much of the correspondence and minutes of club meetings address housing issues and behavioral standards for club members. The evaluations address the club's concerns over its adherence to the ideals represented by Edward E. Potter. Also included in the series are a petition, dated May 26, 1931, for recognition of the State Union which became the Potter Club, a list of twelve charter members of the club, and several editions of the Potter Post, the club's newspaper. The Potter Club Alumni Association, Inc., records contain correspondence, minutes, and financial information documenting the incorporation of the Association on February 17, 1948, and some of its activities until about 1970. The bulk of the collection was created in the 1960s. Included are the Certificate of Incorporation, Constitution of the Association, minutes of the Board of Directors, and several issues of the Potter Club Alumni Newsletter.
The Potter Club Records were originally donated to the University Libraries in 1989. Additional deposits were made by Don Kissel in 1992, and Paul Ward and Robert Umholtz in 1996
Processed by: Justin Holzer
Collection record created by: This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on
Published: 2017-05-04 23:24:05 -0400
Finding Aid compiled by Sara Rohfeld, 1995
Revisions and additions by Marla Krauss, 1996
Reprocessed and revised by Justin Holzer, 2015
Encoded in EAD by Sara Rohfeld, Justin Holzer, 2015 September
Archival materials can be view in-person during business hours in our reading room, located on the top floor of the Science Library on the Uptown Campus.
We can also deliver digital scans for remote research for a fee.
Access to this collection is unrestricted.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, The Edward E. Potter Club And Alumni Association Records, 1920-2008. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as Potter Club Records).
|1||1||Addresses - Members of Alumni Association||Undated|
|1||2||Constitution of Potter Club Alumni Association, Inc.||Undated|
|1||4||Correspondence - Tax Status and Investments||1950, 1962|
|1||5||Financial Statements, Final and Interim Reports, Proposed Budget||1960-1965|
|1||8||Potter Club Housing Gift of Kisel '67||Undated|
|1||10||Ledger - Potter Club Alumni Association||1949|
|1||11||Annual Meeting - Potter Club Alumni Association||1967 June 10|
|1||12||Board of Directors-Potter Club Alumni Assoc: Minutes, Meetings, Correspondence, resolutions, trading accounts||1964-1968, 1970|
|1||13||Potter Club Alumni Newsletter||1963-1967|
|1||14||Prospects and Correspondence-Purchasing House for Potter Club||1959-1961|
|1||15||Potter, Potter Club, and Potter Family Photograph||1934, Undated|
|1||16||Potter Club Reunion - With Two Photographs||2008, 2009|
|2||2||Financial Settlement||ca. 1967-1969|
|2||4||Supreme Court of The State of New York Appellate Division||1963, Undated|
|2||6||Quantity and Price Chart||Undated|
|2||9||Duties of Stewards, House Manager Waiters and Rules of House||Undated|
|2||10||Board Meeting Minutes||1963|
|Oversized 1||1 (The Edward E. Potter Club And Alumni Association R)||Potter Club Blanket||Undated|
|Oversized 2||1 (The Edward E. Potter Club And Alumni Association R)||Potter Club Ledger Book||ca. 1920|
|Oversized 3||1 (The Edward E. Potter Club And Alumni Association R)||Potter Club Ledger Book||1948-1960|
|Oversized 4||1 (The Edward E. Potter Club And Alumni Association R)||Potter Club Letter Opener, Stamp, Box, Compact Makeup, Bag||Undated|
|Oversized 5||1 (The Edward E. Potter Club And Alumni Association R)||Three Potter Mugs||Undated|