The Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy originated in 1947 as the Albany Graduate Program in Public Administration, a joint program of New York University and Syracuse University.
The new graduate program provided the rapidly expanding post-WWII state government of Governor Thomas E. Dewey with academic training in public administration. The State University of New York began to subsidize the training program in 1950, and in 1962 the State University of New York formally took over the program and renamed it the Graduate School of Public Affairs. The new school offered MA and PhD programs in public administration and political science, and an MA in public affairs. An MPA was quickly added. The school affiliated with the State University of New York at Albany (SUNYA) in September 1966. As part of SUNYA, the Graduate School took over the University's department of political science, adding undergraduate programs, and in 1981 created a department of public administration and policy. These departments are the academic heart of the college. The current name of the school, the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy, was adopted in 2000 to honor the contributions of Governor Nelson Rockefeller who served from 1959-1973.
The Department of Public Administration and Policy provides graduate and undergraduate students the skills and insights necessary to participate in the management of public and nonprofit organizations and the creation of public policy.
Materials in this collection include: Program proposals, self studies, and accreditation files; grant proposals; course syllabi and curricula; long-range planning documentation; committee materials; M.P.A. requirements documentation; and faculty files.
The collection is unprocessed and is likely disorganized. Individual items may be difficult to find.
All items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.
Processed by: unprocessed
Collection record created by: This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on
Published: 2018-03-06 09:08:36 -0500
Encoded in EAD by Benjamin Covell, 2017 April 3
Archival materials can be view in-person during business hours in our reading room, located on the top floor of the Science Library on the Uptown Campus.
We can also deliver digital scans for remote research for a fee.
Access to this collection is restricted because it is unprocessed and contains sensitive information and personally identifiable information. Please contact an archivist for more information.
This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.
Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
The University Archives are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
Preferred citation for this material is as follows:
Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Department of Public Administration and Policy Records, 1968-1987. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Department of Public Administration and Policy Records).