1400 Washington AveAlbanyNY
1400 Washington AveAlbanyNY

Department of English Records

1930-1997

PDF Version

Abstract

Contains inactive records of the Department of English, including curricula, annaul reports, program evaluation materials, publications, and administrative records.

Summary

Creator:
State University of New York at Albany. Department of English
Date Coverage:
1930-1997
Quantity:
12.4 cubic ft. (about 12.4 boxes)

English language and literature instruction at the University dates back to the founding of the New York State Normal School in 1844. The M.A. in English was first offered in 1962, and a Ph.D. was offered the following year. A Doctor of Arts in English was introduced in 1971, intended for students preparing for a career in teaching, rather than research. The D.A. program was discontinued in 1995. Currently, the Department of English offers a B.A., an Honors B.A., a combined B.A./M.A., several minors, and graduate work leading to an M.A. or Ph.D.

This collection includes: course bulletins (1941-1995); annual reports, State Education Department program evaluation reports and supporting materials; faculty recruitment and personnel documentation; course syllabi; budget files; enrollment statistics; space planning documentation; and subject files containing correspondence with other administrative and academic departments at the University. Also included are runs of three literary magazines published by 13th Moon Press: The Quest, 13th Moon, and The Little Magazine. The bulk of the collection dates from 1970-1990.

The collection is unprocessed and is likely disorganized. Individual items may be difficult to find.

All items in this collection were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives.

Processed by: unprocessed

Collection record created by: This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on

Published: 2018-03-26 23:00:05 -0400

Encoded in EAD by Benjamin Covell, 2017 February 20

Archival materials can be view in-person during business hours in our reading room, located on the top floor of the Science Library on the Uptown Campus.

We can also deliver digital scans for remote research for a fee.

Access to this collection is restricted because it is unprocessed. Portions of the collection may contain recent administrative records and/or personally identifiable information. Please contact an archivist for more information.

Copyright Statement

This page may contain links to digital objects. Access to these images and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. Digital objects may be used freely for personal reference use, referred to, or linked to from other web sites.

Researchers do not have permission to publish or disseminate material from these collections without permission from an archivist and/or the copyright holder.

The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of copyright. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. More information about U.S. Copyright is provided by the Copyright Office. Additionally, re-use may be restricted by terms of University Libraries gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.

The University Archives are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.

Preferred citation for this material is as follows:

Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Department of English Records, 1930-1997. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Department of English Records).

Contents of Collection

BoxFolderContentsDate

74555b4ca01f8eba50608868ef74f0a3

1: Contents for Boxes 11-16ca. 1964-1993